> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Criminal Law > what is the name of the crime where you spike a food or drink without the person knowing

what is the name of the crime where you spike a food or drink without the person knowing

1 Answers. Asked on Dec 12th, 2012 on Criminal Law - Colorado
More details to this question:
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Dec 14th, 2012 at 5:26 AM

The laws against spiking a person’s drink will  vary from state to state.

In Colorado, where you are from, the two most likely offenses are Consumption by Fraudulent Means and Second Degree Assault.

The  law prohibiting  consumption by fraudulent means essentially states that it is unlawful to cause an individual to unknowingly consume a controlled substance surreptitiously or by means of  fraud, misrepresentation, deception, or subterfuge.

The crime of Second degree Assault may be charged if a person intentionally, and for a purpose other than lawful medical or therapeutic treatment,  causes stupor, unconsciousness, or other physical or mental impairment or injury to another individual by administering a drug or  substance without his or her consent.

Both offenses are class 4 felonies. One could also be charged with conspiracy or attempt to commit either offense, which would be a class a 5 felony.

A class 4 felony in Colorado carries a presumptive sentence of between 2 and 6 years in prison, and a fine.

If the drug used to spike the drink is one commonly known as a “date rape drug,” such as GHB, Ketamine or Rohypnol, and sexual contact  occurred after the person consumed the drink with the added drug, sexual assault or attempted sexual assault charges may be filed.

Jeralyn Merritt, Ask a Lawyer Panelist Since 1998.

Report Abuse
Criminal Law
Have an Criminal Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

318 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

234 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

139 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

112 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

102 Answers, 35 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

94 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

91 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Criminal Law Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Michael R. Varble & Associates, PC

Poughkeepsie, NY

| Contact Now

Ivan Velasco, Jr. LLC

Omaha, NE

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums