> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > DUI/DWI > I have been summons to court for VASAP violation and SC/RVK SUSP SENTENCE. Do I need a lawyer?

I have been summons to court for VASAP violation and SC/RVK SUSP SENTENCE. Do I need a lawyer?

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 27th, 2012 on DUI/DWI - Virginia
More details to this question:
I called VASAP and they told me I was summons pretty much because of a case that happened in 2011 in (Mecklenburg); they said I was found guilty for driving out of my work restriction. However, the court (Mecklenburg) had dismissed that case and they told me last week that they made an error in their system by putting guilty. The case now says it was dismissed instead of guilty. The court (Mecklenburg) said they would send over the information to VASAP. VASAP said they would send over the information to the court I have the summons for (Bedford). However, I called the court today and they said I still have to come to court (Bedford) to prove that it was an error and they haven''t received any papers from anywhere. Should I get a lawyer for this matter? And should I even have to go to court for an error that occurred with another court because now I have to miss a day of work basically for a preliminarily hearing.
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Apr 02nd, 2012 at 8:53 PM

The bottom line is that once the paperwork gets started in a case, it can only be disposed of by a judge.  If you do not go to court to make sure it gets taken care of, then you run the risk of getting a charge of "failing to appear" to go with the show cause.  As to whether you need an attorney - it depends on whether you have the appropriate paperwork to prove that you weren't convicted and feel comfortable in front of the judge to present it. 

This response is general in nature and is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship is formed by it. Further, the response does not represent the opinions or views of LexisNexis or its affiliated companies.

Report Abuse
Driving under the influence (sometimes known as driving while intoxicated/DWI or operating under the influence/OUI) can have serious legal ramifications, from the loss of your driver's license to jail time, fines and increased insurance rates. If you have a commercial driver's license, the penalties can be even more serious. If you've been charged with drunk driving, talk to a criminal defense attorney immediately. A lawyer with DUI defense experience can review the police report, breathalyzer results and other evidence, try to find weaknesses in the prosecutor's case and work tirelessly in your defense. DUI law firms can also work with clients and prosecutors on plea bargains, alternative sentences and license reinstatements.
Have an DUI/DWI Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

336 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

240 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

174 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

93 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

88 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

69 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums